Monday 16 February 2009

Micro_Bio or The Gift (First part)





Everything started at the beginning.

In a very confused moment I was informed that I had been born.

This happened, years ago, on a small isle with an unpronounceable name: Ghawdex, in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea, and even if everybody attending to the event asserts I was there, too, I must admit I cannot remember it.

I was baptized and they say that in that precise moment all the water in the font evaporated, but I guess it is an overstatement.

I tore down my childhood petal through petal, building reality as an infinite pieces multidimensional puzzle unfolded over the eternal hills of the natal hamlet.

Puberty and adolescence assaulted me without warning, preying on my inexperience and youth. I repaired my rent inner tissues dealing the distressed moments of my treble voice with those of off-key baritone with the charm of a diplodocus and a horsefly trying to dance the black swans 'pas de deux' together.

Finally time put me the adult costume but my entrails did not know it, adulthood is a chronology, not an ontological condition. My face came in my help: I looked adult.

During some years I tried to save the world but then I realized that my arrival was late... Way too late!

Astride on time I let it carry me ahead, the sad voice of the Mistral and the icy breath of the Cierzo followed my memories after leaving the cozy world of the 'Mare Nostrum' and the universe opened up to my amazed childish eyes of toddler who looked like an adult.

That very innocence and ignorance were my deliverance, nobody could believe that I could be so imbecile! (perfection does not exist except for especial cases as mine) and that belief made them, (people around me) to cook up stories of conspirations where I abet stronger and darker forces or that I was that darker force myself with wicked, hidden, and unspeakable purposes. This same stories awaken trepidation and fear and took them to show an esteem toward me that they do not feel really, but served well to preserve me from greater evils.

So I flew over human miseries, mine and other's, filling my empty days with arias and readings that as guardian angels wrapped my soul and let me be happy even in the middle of cruel vicissitudes.

Then again, the meddlesome time stated that I was an old man and to my chagrin my body agreed: each time I told to my body: "Let's run to that bush and jump over it"!, my body answered: "Who, me ?!!

And it happened that the inner child found himself alone: older people thought him crazy, and younger fellows, not understanding his predicament, thought him a lunatic.

Again, innocence and ignorance came to help me, looking around I found that my experience in languages adquired in years of traveling our rickety planet could be used to balance different cultures from language to language.

Unscrupulously and with the freedom that only youth can use I started to be a translator and Luck, who as a good female she is, loves naiveté and babies rewarded me letting me feel my intention accomplished, which is all you need to feel successful...

(to be continued)

© 2009 Od Liam.

"A Evaristo Carriego" composed by Eduardo Rovira and played by "Forever Tango Orchestra"

No comments:

Post a Comment